Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cheesy Beans and Rice- Sort of.

A friend on Facebook posted this recipe and I thought I would try it out on the non casserole eating family and my non bean eating self. I'm getting better at eating beans, I promise.
I put Salsa Chicken in it also because I had some in the freezer. Taco meat would probably be good too. I liked this but being that I don't like beans- unless refried with cheese and we don't eat casseroles it wasn't a go back for seconds kind of dish. The person who posted on Facebook said they used the leftovers for burritos and that sounds good to me, so I think it's a mental thing. I say this is "sort of" a Cheesy Beans and Rice because I didn't exactly follow the recipe.
What you need
Cooked rice- I had about 6 cups? I had a lot of rice in there.
1 large onion chopped
1 medium bell pepper chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic minced
olive oil
Mexican Seasoning, or chili powder or your favorite taco seasoning
salt and pepper
1 can of tomatoes and green chilies (notice the original recipe said undrained, I drained mine but it was fine)
1 can beans rinsed and drained
8 ounces shredded cheese or was it 12?
3 cups Salsa Chicken 

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Saute the garlic, onion and bell pepper with a little olive oil. Cook until crisp tender.
Add seasonings.



Add the tomatoes and green chilies.
Turn off the heat.

Mix the can of beans and rice together.
No assemble. I put a little bit of chicken on the bottom of a baking dish. 9x13, sprayed with oil. Then rice, then chicken, then cheese, then tomato mixture. Repeat and end with tomato mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. 
Cover with more cheese and put it back in the oven until the cheese melts.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.