Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cheese Grits

After the last post I figured I would post something to settle your tummies a bit. (WOW, is that the mommy in me talking or what? Tummies. Who uses words like that? Oh. Me.) A little disclaimer, I was not born in the South, I am not saying this is how Southern grandma's make their grits. This is how I make my grits. So grab some grits, cheese, butter and milk... OK water, salt and pepper too. If you have grilled shrimp... DROOOL... crumble bacon on top. OH YES.
And if you're a NKOTB/DDub fan I say "cheese" you say... "GRITS"! 
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups water
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
2-3 tablespoons of butter- this is Southern food, make it real sweet cream butter and just toss it in there.
1-1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar (I only had colby jack and I didn't want to shred it)

Bring the milk and water to a boil over medium high heat. I don't add salt until I can taste test but that's me. Slowly whisk in the grits. Turn it down and cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Cook until thick.


Grab that butter and stir it in.




Add the cheese a little at a time, and stir to combine.
Keep adding the remaining cheese until it's all incorporated.
 See? Easy Peasy. Grits and cheesy, that just doesn't sound the same.
Now salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with some grilled shrimp. Crumbled bacon... I heart bacon.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.