Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Balut or Khai-Louk

Balut, I'm getting comfy with you all. I actually debated on posting these pictures in case any of you all were squeamish. You can tell these pictures are older (from the summer, because Piglet looks so different than she does now). The girls and I love Balut. Flavorful. Savory. I'll try to explain the flavor a bit. Through pictures and my sorry writing.
First off all what is Balut? It is an Asian delicacy, a fertilized duck or chicken egg. The embryo is usually 15-17 days old, older in different countries. Steamed or boiled then served with salt and pepper, chili vinegar or a chili sauce. And herbs, and for beer drinkers a cold beer.  In Lao we call it Khai-louk (literally "egg" and "baby").

The following is from Wikipedia-
Fertilized duck eggs are kept warm in the sun and stored in baskets to retain warmth. After nine days, the eggs are held to a light to reveal the embryo inside. Approximately eight days later the Balut are ready to be cooked, sold, and eaten.
When eating Khai-louk, you tap the top of the egg and remove a little bit of the shell. The broth surrounding the embryo is very flavorful, if all chicken broth/stock could be that flavorful without any addition of herbs, spices or salt. This is one of my favorite parts and my girls also. A true Amuse Bouche I think the flavor encompasses all of what's to come as you enjoy the rest of the Khai-louk. Just an intense chicken flavor. (And I don't like chicken. There I said it, I only make so much chicken because DH likes it.) Usually we eat the Kahi-louk out of the shell with a small spoon. The whole thing is edible (ok not the shell).
You can sprinkle the sauce or salt and pepper right into there and use the shell as a cup. I guess you could dump it out onto a plate...
This embryo is more than 15 days old but, still good.  The bones and feathers are under developed. Which is my preference.
The only part I leave, and most people I know leave is the tough whites. It's not worth my time, it's like chewing on extra touch cartilage. My dad eats them for me. The yellow part of the Khai-louk is creamy and tender. It does NOT taste like a boiled egg yolk, it's so much more flavorful than that and just GOOD. See, can't explain it.
Pretty good detail on my little camera...
The embryo, that's what you're all waiting for right? It isn't chewy like chicken, and if properly incubated it's not crunchy or feathery - are you all tossing cookies? Sorry. It's soft, very flavorful  (I've said that like 5 times...) succulent. It's not gamey, it's ... Umami without the MSG.
Piglet, going to town.
You can find Khai-louk or Balut in most Asian grocery stores for about 80 cents or so each. Worth it in my opinion.
How many followers do I still have left? Sound off please... tell me I'm still loved, please?
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. I still love you, but EWW. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I thought balut were only available to cable show hosts trying to gross out their audiences. it's nice to know there are people who actually appreciate them.

    I could do it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are an acquired taste I think... not the taste I think it's getting past the embryo part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting to read other cultures cuisine, I don't know that I could get past it, however I can only imagine how good it must be! I know young chickens are more full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been living here in the Philippines for 9 years now and I have never tried balut. I've gotten myself to eat snails, frog legs, shark meat, fish lips soup, ostrich meat, etc., but I have my limits. Balut and any kind of organ meat is where I draw the line.

    I just can't get past the fact that the duck is well-formed with feathers and bones etc.. See, I already have goose bumps as I type this.

    I actually like frog legs and ostrich meat. Frog legs taste like chicken and ostrich meat is exactly like beef in color and texture.

    But hey, to each her own. The culinary world is an interesting topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like frog legs ok, Ostrich is dry to me- no marbled enough too lean LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still love you, but my palate isn't that adventurous! ;) I'll definitely just take your word for it on this one. ;) Love you, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya, I don't think I could get past the embryo part...interesting, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loooooove khai louk!!
    i love them , i love them! I usually don't eat the embryo though.
    Minou doesn't eat it, she's EEW-ing them!
    Last time i saw on TV a report about "the ten most disgusting things to eat in the world", and khai louk was number1! I find it much more tasty and appealing that chesse with maggots... but i guess it's a matter of culture and tastes :)
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really glad that I didn't read this while I was still in the 1st trimester. :D

    I think this is one thing from your blog I will forever pass on. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew what this was until you talked about it on OHO. I have told several people about it though irl. You should see their reactions. lmbo.

    One question though, does the hubby eat it?

    -AngelaAnne

    ReplyDelete
  12. AngelaAnne
    oh no he doesn't at all LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually have a cousin from Thailand that married into our family. This is where I learned about this "delicacy" according to her. Not for me, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for doing this post.I am so glad you had the pictures for it as well.I raise chickens so it was nice just to gt to see them.
    I myself probably would never try this, but I honestly wish I could.I dont like turning my nose up at things before I try them.I think the descriptions you gave actually helped.Maybe one day someone will blindfold my eyes and have me taste.I honestly can imagine that it would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.