Sunday, February 7, 2010

Vanilla bean Snowcream

Have you ever had Snowcream? Rare treat. It's not gourmet, it's not creamy rich and decadent by any means. It's a little icy but still creamy. Cool and refreshing. And there is something special about newly fallen snow, school cancellations and antsy kids who need something cool to do. A couple of things about this. Use your head. Make sure it's been snowing a good two hours before placing a bowl outside to catch the snow to make sure it's clean. If you're harvesting snow- monitor your kids, don't use snow that's not clean (duh- I know right?), don't get snow from places animals are, have been or do things in. I used heavy cream, vanilla extract with real vanilla bean and powdered sugar.

Vanilla bean Snowcream

A bowl of CLEAN snow- I can't tell you how much 6 cups? That's a TOTAL guess.
1 cup of heavy cream (more or less depending on how much snow you have- I know right? great recipe)
2-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar, you can use honey, maple syrup or other sweeteners also
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(I have read that some people use a smashed banana makes sense since you can make one ingredient ice cream with just bananas, jello, sweetened condensed milk, cocoa or koolaid also for flavoring)

Mix all the ingredients except the snow in a bowl, keep chilled until you are ready to add the snow. 
Grab a bowl of snow... we had too much. About two feet too much HA HA.
Drizzle the cream mixture a little bit at a time over the snow and fold in.
Until the cream freezes. (I used only half of the snow here) 
All done.


All of the girls loved it!

Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Makes me have a taste for sugar on snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sugar and fat/cream you mean LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited for the next time it snows now... we are doing this for sure! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I am wishing we got the 2 feet of snow you got! We will have to try that next time we get snow in CT L:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! We *love* snow cream! I use regular sugar, though - I think powdered sugar gives it a weird flavor.

    Whatever you do, don't try to make it with milk because you used up all the cream yesterday. It will end up icy instead of creamy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of snow cream before. Perhaps it has something to do with being from L.A. Sounds cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHH LA fantastic Chinatown near you.
    this is the first year the girls have seen snow we moved from Florida we're ready to move back

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the rare occasions it snowed back home growing up, we'd always have snow ice cream. It's the best. We didn't have a set recipe either. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.