Saturday, October 10, 2009

Our Favorite Spaghetti Sauce


Spaghetti sauce. It's so personal, there are few red sauces I will eat. Jarred sauces? Maybe one or two types of certain brands. People just have different tastes and ideas of what tastes good. My girls? Just the same. My girls are not picky eaters, they never have been big fans of red sauce. They will eat very little sauce. Diva loves this sauce (woo hooo!) and so do I! Piglet, just isn't a fan of ANY red sauce (* see update!*) but she will eat this one, meaning she won't ask
for seconds like Diva- but she will eat her serving. I call this a success, usually a successful recipe is if everyone raves about it and asks for more, but in the world of red sauces three of us raving and just one person not ranting is a wonderful place.
Update- apparently my children's taste buds have changed and they all love this, and love red sauce now! This also freezes very well. Make a ton, cool it and freeze in jars or bags.
10/23/2015: A huge batch of sauce ready for the freezer!

GPAC Our Favorite Spaghetti Sauce

1/2 pound Italian sausage- out of casings
1/2 pound Ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Olive oil
4 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes- drained
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
Sea Salt
Black Pepper
1 teaspoon dried Oregano
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
4-6 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
1-2 tablespoons tamari or regular soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2-1 tablespoon brown sugar *see more
1/2- 1 stick of butter
*Try to get low sodium or salt free tomato sauces and tomatoes, that way you can control the sodium level in the sauce and most importantly you can control how it tastes.
*Ground turkey can be used in this sauce also
*  I've subbed two whole carrots for the sugar before, simmer with the sauce and remove before serving.

  1. Brown the sausage and ground beef. Drain well. Reserve some fat. Set aside. 
  2. Heat some reserve sausage/ground beef fat in  the same pot, a few tablespoons. 
  3. Add garlic and red pepper flakes cook until fragrant, add onion and cook until soft.
  4. Return meat to the pot, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
  5. Add the cans of tomato paste, sauce and diced tomatoes. Make sure the tomato paste breaks down so you don't have lumps of tomato paste in your sauce. 
  6. Add the spices and seasonings. Stir. Taste.
  7. Add more seasonings as needed. 
  8. Stir in butter. 
  9. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, it's a quick sauce- though I have simmered for 30+ if I add carrots.  
  10. Serve over hot pasta or veggie noodles.
Thanks for stopping by!!

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.