Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Crock Pot (Slow Cooker) Rice Pudding

WOW, this picture REALLY bites. I mean, sure I am not a photographer and this is NOT a photography blog and some of the pictures are really bad but this doesn't even look appetizing. Sorry about that because it was really GOOD. DELICIOUS. I have issues with crock pot cooking and I have challenged myself to use the crock pot once a week. I keep forgetting to post my failures, last week it was an orange chicken- eww. Most of my issues with the crock pot is that everything is mushy, tastes like everything else thrown in there and over done. Perhaps that is why this rice pudding came out so good because it's supposed to be soft, creamy, a little mushy and the milk infused into the rice perfectly. Who knows. I will say the first time I tried rice pudding in the crock pot it DID get over done and looked like paste- so I watched this and checked on it often breaking the "don't open the lid" rule of crock pot cooking. Oh well.
Is there a recipe? Not really but I'll try.

7-8 cups milk (that seems like a lot but I had half a gallon and I poured quite a bit into the crock pot)
1 cup uncooked rice- I used short grain this time around
3/4 c brown sugar
3 tbs butter
Cinnamon stick/s
Spray the crock with a little bit of cooking spray. Place all the ingredients in the crock and stir. Turn the heat on high. I let it cook for about 3 hours. I checked on it and stirred it 3-4 times. If the rice is getting tender or done to your liking but there is still lots of liquid off set the lid so some steam can escape while the crock pot is still set to high. Stir and serve with whipped cream and ground cinnamon. I had some pumpkin pie spice on mine.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.