Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kale Chips

OK before you turn you nose up at these and say "my kids would never eat those", give them a try, don't dumb down their pallets or their food! You would be surprised what kids will eat and LIKE. These Kale chips are light as air, CRISPY and have a wonderful flavor. My older girls Diva (whose FIVE now-eep) and Piglet (3 already, where did the time go?) ate these up. Piglet even said, "Daddy try these chips they are yummy!"
What you need
Kale
Olive Oil
Sea Salt, Seasoned Salt, Garlic Salt, Jane's Krazy Salt- whatever you like

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the stems from the kale. An easy way to remove the stems is to hold the end with the stem and point the leafy end down towards a cutting board, run a sharp knife down the stem. It goes fast and is very effective. Break kale into about 2 inch pieces. Wash and dry thoroughly, use a salad spinner if you have one. Place kale in a single layer on a parchment lined jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with a rim. Spray with olive oil. *I have one of those pumps you can put oil into and spray it* You can put the kale in a bowl and toss with a LITTLE bit of olive oil but I find that this doesn't coat it evenly and on the spots with too much oil the kale was soggy when done. Season with salt or whatever you are using. Bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp, don't let them burn.

*Update- for the past could of years these have been Pixie's favorite things to ask for. Funny right? Piglet doesn't like them anymore, sigh. I've also put them in my dehydrator instead of the oven and they come out crisp there also.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. These were terrific! My parents, hubby and 2y old loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you all liked them! we love them too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.