Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dashimaki Tamago


I don't have a Tamago pan, I think it would be easier if I did as far as shape and presentation but don't shy away from making these if you don't have the "right" pan. Dashimaki Tamago is great for bentos and of course when making nigiri sushi, if you don't want to bother shaping rice for nigiri you can just have the rice in a bowl topped with the tamago. The girls enjoyed this, the baby ate them right up.
I couldn't take pictures as I was making these, I have actually stopped taking a lot of step by step photos, due to space in the new kitchen and well... it's time consuming. I don't even edit the pictures, see I told you I roll dangerous like that.

What you need
non stick pan
bamboo sushi mat
6 eggs
~ 1/2 cup dashi (I use Hon-Dashi prepared with a little water)
1 Tbs Sake- if you have it one hand
3-4 tsp sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
dash of salt
1/4 tsp light soy sauce
cooking oil

These are not exact measurements since I don't generally measure.
Break the eggs into a bowl. STIR, don't whisk air into them. Stir until the yolks are broken. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Brush the pan with a little oil, I do this even if it's non stick.
On medium low to medium heat, pour about 1/4 of the mixture into the pan and lightly scramble it. When the eggs are barley set push them over to one side of the pan.
Wipe down the pan with an oiled paper towel, slide the egg over and wipe the other side with the paper towel.
Pour a thin layer of egg mixture into the pan with the scrambled eggs still pushed to the side. Lift the pan and tilt it to distribute the egg and use a spatula to lift the scrambled eggs so that a thin layer of uncooked egg flows under it. This will start the "rolled" effect of the tamago and you want it to adhere to the already scrambled egg.
Once the thin layer of egg starts to cook on the bottom is just slightly wet on top start roll the scrambled egg "log" over once, let it sit a few seconds and continue rolling with a few seconds between each roll until you get to the end of the pan.
Wipe the pan clean, oil it again and repeat the process until all of the egg mixture is used up.
Place the tamago on a bamboo sushi mat and shape it- into a rectangle, oval, heart, Subway train, whatever you want. Set the mat with egg over a bowl to let air flow through and moisture escape while it cools.
Once cooled you can slice it.
Lunch in box has a great tutorial on this and there are videos on U-Tube too.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.