Saturday, May 2, 2009

Salt free vegetable stock for babies

A salt free vegetable stock is a great way to thin out purees for baby and a great base for meat free soups. Making a big batch is convenient because once you freeze the stock in an ice cube container it's ready to be used any time. It's also nice to have stock on hand for cooking any meal. It's less expensive than buying stock and you know what's in it.
Whenever we have asparagus I save the tough ends, I just put them in a bag and place them in the freezer until I want to make stock- with or without meat. Same can be done when you shell shrimp for a seafood stock. (I don't add asparagus to my stock anymore, it overpowers the stock).
There isn't much to stocks I make, it's whatever I have on hand and some aromatics. This has fresh ginger- to settle the tummy, carrots, cilantro, coriander seeds, black peppercorns (just 4-5), smashed garlic cloves. I didn't have celery so I didn't use it this time around.
All I do is rinse the vegetables, cover them with water in pot and add the aromatics. Bring it to a boil then turn the heat down to a simmer for an hour or so. Cool, strain and either freeze or use it.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.