Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Spinach Feta Puffs

These are great because you can make them and keep them in the freezer until you are ready to bake them. I think though for my girls next time I will use a combination of feta and something else as far as cheese. I think the feta was a bit strong for Piglet, I didn't think it would be she eats feta on salads but I don't know.

1 1/2 packages of frozen spinach (I think my packages were 15 oz? or 12?)
1 medium onion chopped
6 oz crumbled feta
black pepper
ground nutmeg
cayenne pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 box of frozen puff pastry- thawed but still cool
1 egg



In a large bowl place a clean kitchen towel or flour sack towel. Put frozen spinach in the towel. Defrost in the microwave.









Once it is defrosted, squeeze the liquid out of the spinach. Discard the liquid.





Place spinach in the bowl.








Chop the onion and mince the garlic.







Saute them both in a little bit of oil.









Feta, seasonings, onion mixture to the bowl. (Everything except the egg and the pastry.






Without unfolding the pastry take one sheet and roll it out (if there is paper inside the sheets take it out and refold it), I don't know what size this is... pretty big I guess... 10x15 inches? Don't you hate the way I do things?
Cut the pastry into four squares or rectangles depending on how the shape of your pastry turned out.



Divide the filling on to one side of each rectangle. Brush the sides of the pastry with egg wash.

Fold the empty side over the spinach with crimp with a fork to seal the edges.





OK I trim the sides to make them even, not needed.








Place on a baking sheet and brush with egg wash if you are baking them right away. I baked four and froze four.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.








** to freeze these I skip the egg wash on top, place on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for an hour, then I transfer them to a zip top bag to store. When ready to back just proceed with the egg wash and bake them frozen, add some time if needed.**
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.