Friday, May 2, 2008

Honey Vanilla Ice cream

This ice cream is DIVINE. I tell you, it is. It's so very very good. It is a new recipe and I will make little notes along the way of things I would have done and will do differently next time. I knew what I wanted in the ice cream and I probably could have just used the same custard base I use for most ice creams, but I wanted to see if I could get a more intense creamier flavor this time around.
I think I will try some lavender flowers in a batch, some cloves in another... YUMMY....

The ice cream maker I have is this one... it works wonderfully Gelato Pro

6 eggs- next time I think I will leave the whites out
1 cup evaporated milk- I like the flavor this added, I am unsure if it's just me but evaporated milk has a different taste than regular milk
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons of honey
salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
vanilla extract

Like I said next time just the yolks AND I would beat them before adding anything else. But 6 eggs. In a heavy bottomed pot.








Add milk and evaporated milk.








Split the vanilla bean scrape it and add all of that and the split bean into the pot.








Add the honey.









And the salt.







Whisk it together.







Add vanilla extract.











Add heavy cream.




On Medium low heat and stirring constantly heat the mixture until it is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. STIR it, don't turn it up, it WILL curdle on you, however if it does you are straining it anyway.







Fill a big bowl with ice water, place a smaller bowl in the middle. Pour custard into the smaller bowl to cool






Once cool, strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve into the bowl of your ice cream maker.








Don't forget the paddle.
Turn on the machine and let it churn until you have a soft serve. It took mine 35 minutes.




Yummy goodness. Transfer this to a freezer proof container and freeze the ice cream until hard, eat whatever doesn't fit into the container, it's just soft serve right?
Pin It!

1 comment:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.