Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Cherry Turnovers

These turnovers are SO easy, and really they can be filled with any fruit, even a cream cheese filling. It's more of a method. I only made half a recipe, because since DH has been home I have baked way too many sweets, and it's just not needed.

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the pastry
1 box (17.25 ounces, 2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 bag (12 ounces) frozen cherries
1/3 cup granulated sugar (I used way less)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 large egg yolk, beaten with a little water
coarse sugar- like sugar in the raw




Place frozen cherries in a bowl, toss with granulated sugar I use about 2-3 tablespoons total, flour and lemon juice. Set aside.

I didn't measure so... if yours doesn't look like this, it's probably right.





Place one sheet of puff pastry on a floured surface, keep it folded, if it has paper inside the folds take that out and fold it back up.







Roll each sheet out to 10x14 inches.









Cut the sides to make them even.







Cut each sheet into fourths.








Place filling on one side of each rectangle. Leave room to seal the edges!







Brush with the water/egg wash on the sides.








Fold the empty side of the pastry over the filling.










Crimp to seal with a fork.






Now this step is not needed but, it didn't look even to me so i cut off the edges...








Place each turnover on a baking sheet. Score the top with a few slits.






Brush lightly with egg wash.








Sprinkle with sanding sugar.







Bake at 375 degrees for 15-25 minutes until the filling is bubbly and the pastry is browned.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.