Friday, April 25, 2008

Roasted Chicken and vegetables

This is a nice one pan meal. Easy, not a lot of clean up and kid friendly. OK most of it is kid friendly. I think I am coming to terms with the fact that Piglet doesn't like asparagus. OH well...
I used chicken thighs, I am not a big fan of white meat so I prefer them. If you are using breasts and other cuts just split them (the breasts) in half for more even cooking. Use a shallow roasting pan, as opposed to a deeper one (three inches deeper or more), this helps the chicken crisp up, deeper pans trap in heat. Of course if you are removing the skin then I guess it doesn't matter.

8-10 pieces of bone in chicken with the skin
3 tablespoons butter
4-5 carrots
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 lemon cut into 8 wedges
5-6 springs fresh thyme, my garden is pitiful right now I found two sprigs and some rosemary.

* shallots would be great in this also, I didn't have any lying around*

Number one thing I should tell you NOT to do, don't use your gorgeous Polish pottery, get your shallow roasting pan out, don't be lazy, or you will crack your pottery. Not that I would know. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Slice the carrots into chunks, dot with half the butter.
Place it in oven for 15-20 minutes.





Trim the asparagus and cut into 2 inch pieces.







After the carrots are browned add chicken skin side up, salt and pepper it and tuck some rosemary in there also. If you are only using thyme don't add it yet, it's not as hearty as the rosemary it will burn. Roast for 20 minutes or until the chicken begins to brown.




Slice lemon into wedges...








Scatter herbs, asparagus and lemon in the roasting pan, add the rest of the butter.






Roast for 5-15 minutes until chicken is done and asparagus is tender. Serve with pan juices.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. i was searching on your site for how to cook asparagus, because, well, you can make anything. sure enough, up came this recipe. i made it last week and am cooking it again tonight!! wonderful, easy, yummy meal. thanks for blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy- thanks so much for you kind words! I needed a pick me up this evening! I am so glad you liked it, so easy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.