Friday, April 25, 2008

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake


OK first off, I know it's not pretty but, I am still in the middle of operation clean out the pantry, and the pantry didn't have pineapple RINGS it had pineapple chunks, use what you've got right? Secondly, depending on what KIND of cake you like this might not be for you. Desserts aren't my weakness, I would pick a main dish over dessert any day if you put it in front of me- probably. Definitely if it's sushi or a rare steak. OK back to the cake. I prefer a spongy light pineapple upside-down cake. this is a little more dense, definitely not heavy and still moist, but it isn't slap somebody good. The next time I make this I am just going to stick with a nice hot milk cake batter instead. Maybe it's that this has shortening in it, and if i know I put shortening in something I get all queasy. I sure do make you want to try this cake don't I? If it makes you feel better the girls and I did eat half of it... in one sitting.

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
9 slices of canned pineapple drained- or chunks
maraschino cherries
1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
vanilla extract
3 tablespoons pineapple juice


Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9 inch square pan melt the butter in the oven while it is preheating.







Once melted, not browned sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on top.








Arrange pineapple over sugar, place a cherry in each ring. Or do what I did. Or dump them in, whatever.








Cream shortening and sugar.









Add the rest of the ingredients...








Beat ingredients well for three minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl often.






It is a pretty batter though...









Pour it over the pineapple and cherries.








Smooth out the top.







Bake for 50-55 minutes or until tested with a toothpick.







Immediately place a serving plate over the cake and invert it... keep the plate on top and let everything drop onto the top of the cake. Then remove the baking dish.







Ta-da... It's great warm...
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.