Thursday, April 17, 2008

Leftover's rice pudding


I had a hankering for rice pudding a few nights ago, blame it on the baby, I wanted something fast... well this wasn't it, but by the time I stood there stirring it was too late to turn back. I thought it would be faster since I used leftover rice but it still took a good 40 minutes. I also used evaporated milk to see how it would be, since I am still trying to clean out the pantry. It was yummy, not much different from regular whole milk though, I don't think.
I didn't really measure, but here you go

~3 cups cooked rice, I had jasmine
1 can of evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar packed
cinnamon stick
4 cardamom pods
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
nutmeg
1-2 tablespoons butter
*if you are adding raisins you will need more water, not a lot I don't think but those little guys soak up some of it, eeekk



In a heavy bottomed pot melt your butter and add your rice, mine was cold but it doesn't matter.








Add the milk and water.






Add the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick.









Then the vanilla...









and nutmeg







and sugar...







Stir it on med heat... once it steams turn it on to low. Stir it often until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is tender if you need to add more milk do so. Like I said it took mine 40 minutes to get tender and creamy, it was so good, I did give the girls some the next day.














Pin It!

1 comment:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.