Friday, December 7, 2007

Get your kids to help croutons!

Get your kids to help, croutons!
The girls love to help me in the kitchen, and now that Diva is older, OK well three. She's able to do a little bit more. I mentioned in my no-knead diner rolls post that they made great croutons, here are the results. Crunchy, buttery but not greasy flavorful morsels that aren't packed with sodium.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees
5 or so cups of cubed bread- rolls, French or Italian bread something substantial that will hold up to the butter
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
3 Cloves of garlic crushed
2 Teaspoons whole peppercorns
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Teaspoons dried Italian seasoning



I had Diva break up the rolls into little pieces for me while I melted the butter.






Heat butter, garlic, peppercorns in a pan. I used this monster skillet because I needed it for spaghetti sauce and was too lazy to wash another pot.






Once the butter is melted and the mixture is fragrant take it off the heat and let it sit for ten minutes. Discard garlic and peppercorns. Stir in Italian seasoning.





Sprinkle this mixture over the cubed bread crumbs in a baking sheet. toss with your hands to combined. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake until golden brown 10-15 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.