Sunday, November 18, 2007

GPAC Eggnog ice cream

I could not for the life of, me in spite many Google searches find an eggnog ice cream recipe that even looked good to me. I love eggnog ice cream it's one of those flavors I look forward to each season, so I decided that it can't be that hard to make. I looked at a few recipes, they were all basically a custard base with flavorings, some were a softened vanilla ice cream with flavorings stirred in. Not what I was looking for, I wanted something RICH with a true eggnog taste. I also wanted something that had actual eggnog in it as opposed to just flavorings. So I just tweaked my tried and true basic custard recipe and the ice cream is fabulous. I have other pictures for an actual tutorial but DH is reworking the computer so I think one picture will suffice.

GPAC Real YUMMY Eggnog Ice cream :-)

2 cups of heavy cream (good thick heavy cream, shake your container if you can hear it sloshing around like milk it's not good cream)
2 cup real eggnog (not eggnog flavored drinks- blah)
1/2-3/4 cup evaporated cane juice or regular sugar
6 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean (split, scrap out seeds- use both seeds and bean in custard)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cinnamon sticks
3 whole cloves
grated nutmeg

Put the heavy cream, eggnog, cane juice, cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla bean with the seeds into a heavy bottomed saucepan. Stir and heat until mixture is hot (NOT boiling- your cream will curdle on you) and can juice is dissolved.
Whisk egg yolks, temper with a little bit of the hot custard mixture, this is important if you do not do this you may end up with scrambled eggs. Add all the egg yolk to the custard mixture and heat on medium, stir constantly until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Add vanilla extract and grate 1/2 nutmeg (yes half, I like nutmeg) into the custard.
Strain mixture through a fine sieve. I strain it into a mason jar, as opposed to something plastic. Let custard cool.
Once cool place into mixture bowl of your ice cream maker. Follow the instructions for your machine to freeze. In my Gelato machine it takes about 25 minutes. Then remove the ice cream and place into containers to finish freezing in the freezer.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I guess I missed this post earlier - just saw it and kept thinking eggplant icecream???? ewwwww. I guess eggnogg only exists for me in the month of December.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.