Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Thai Green Chicken Curry... on a whim...

Last night I was craving Indian curry so badly that I googled a restaurant near us and invited Shell out for lunch today. DH wasn't able to meet us so I made him Thai curry (green). I didn't have any bell peppers which I usually put in the dish but it turned out OK. I served it with coconut brown rice. I was still full from lunch so I had a bowl of honeycombs cereal. The girls had rice, fruit and cereal, the curry is too spicy for them, even with yogurt on top.
The method I use is very basic. I use Mae Ploy curry paste because I live in a dinky little town where fresh ingredients to make curry pastes are impossible to find. I was curious to see where the lady at the Indian restaurant got her groceries, she said she drove to Atlanta every weekend, that's an 8 hour trip. I told her she should start selling groceries.




To prepare this dish cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Select vegetables, I generally use bell peppers and onions. I didn't have bell peppers today so I used zucchini. DH prefers breasts to thighs, if I were making this for me I would use boneless skinless thighs or even bone in thighs. I find that the meat is more tender, moist and flavorful.
Brown the chicken in a little olive oil in batches...





Working in batches transfer the chicken onto a clean plate, I put it along side my vegetables.













This is the curry paste I use along with a can of coconut milk.

















Put about 2 tablespoons of the paste in the same pan the chicken was browned in and add about a 1/2 cup of coconut milk cook until fragrant scraping off the chicken bits from the bottom of the pan. Add another cup or so of coconut milk and stir.









Put the onions in and cook for about 3 minutes. (if you don't like your onions soft, put all the vegetables in at once)









Add remaining vegetables and chicken along with any juices on the plate. Stir and cook until vegetables are tender. Add chicken broth if you like a saucy curry.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.