Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Garden vegetable soup with roasted chicken

We ate WAY too much at Logan's steakhouse last night so tonight I am making focaccia and vegetable soup with roasted chicken.
I find that if I prep whatever I can in the morning or during the day, making dinner is a cinch. I like to prep while Piglet is napping in the morning, that way on some days Diva can help me and other days she is in school.
I make this soup with tomatoes but Piglet doesn't seem to tolerate tomatoes too well so I take a portion out for her then add canned diced tomatoes, if I could simmer it longer I would use fresh seeded tomatoes.
If you want you can throw the chicken bones into the soup once you shred the meat. If you aren't using a boneless breasts. Which I usually have breasts with ribs on hand for this. I just didn't today.
Again this is more of a method than a recipe...
Garden vegetable soup with roasted chicken
Chicken breasts- broiled with salt and pepper cut into bit sized pieces
Minced garlic clove
Chopped red bell pepper
Chopped carrots
Chopped celery
Chopped onion
Chopped zucchini
Fresh green beans cut into ¾ in size
Frozen corn
Low sodium chicken broth (2 1/2 boxes)
Can of diced
tomatoes
Bay
leaf
Italian seasoning
Sea salt
Black pepper
Lime juice
Garnish-
Chopped parsley
Chopped celery leaves
Lime wedges
Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed stockpot over medium low heat. Once heated sweat garlic and onion with a little salt. Add carrots, green beans, bell pepper, celery, bay leaf and Italian seasoning, cook for about 5 minuets, stir. Add zucchini, roasted chicken and any juices, broth, salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Once simmering lower heat and cook until vegetables are fork tender. Add corn kernels a little before cooking time is up. Remove from heat and add about 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice. Discard Bay leaves. Serve with garnishes.
Fresh veggies all ready to go.
Broiled chicken cooling before I cut it up.
Vegetables that take longer to cook are put in first
Adding broth and zucchini...







Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.