Friday, October 5, 2007

Fast and yummy breakfast....













I used to make breakfast all the time, but Diva has been asking for cold cereal a lot and well who am I to deny her... ok, ok and the whole extra sleep issue. But on this particular morning I wasn't in the mood for cold cereal (9-27- yes I know the post is out of order, but I am backlogging) So I made a dutch baby for the girls and I. SO simple and so yummy, they have a wonderful crust on the edges, and have a custard like center. I serve it with fresh fruit and syrup. I got the recipe from another military mama.


Dutch Baby

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 TBS sugar or honey (more or less to taste)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 TBS unsalted butter

* I add more vanilla, fresh grated nutmeg and other spices depending on my mood*

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place all ingredients except the butter into a blender and blend until smooth. Let the batter sit while you put the butter in a baking dish or cast iron pan and let it melt in the hot oven. (9 inch round or square for a thicker Dutch baby or 9x13 inch for a thinner one). When the pan is hot and the butter is melted pour the batter into the pan. Bake 20-25 minutes. Edges should be golden to caramel brown, the middle should be lightly set but still jiggle
Bake less for a more custard consistency in the middle, more for a firm consistency.
Serve with syrup, jam, powdered sugar, fresh fruit or a squeeze of lemon juice.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.