Thursday, January 26, 2012

Marinated Tofu

 NOM NOM. Seriously. So very good. I love this with a medium firm tofu. The tofu can be eaten cold or it can be fried up first. Eaten just as is with the marinade or tossed with soba noodles and vegetables for a salad.

 
I didn't have scallions the night I made the one pictured above, but green onion/scallions add a great crunch and flavor. I don't mind it without the scallions because I eat very little scallions. Diva however loves them. the night I took this picture, Christmas night, I had cubed tofu out and the sauce on the side. So we put the tofu on fondue forks, heated it up in the broth then had it with the marinade/sauce. But the first picture is some I made recently for lunch.
You can use soy sauce, Tamari or Coconut aminos or even Bragg liquid aminos. I used the Coconut aminos because I have it on hand, Tamari is delish too.
Fried in a little oil first. Give it a little crunch.
If you like a crisp on the outside tofu you can pan fry it in a little bit of oil. If you want your tofu to really soak up all the goodness of the sauce you can press it first. Take your tofu and wrap it in some paper towels and put it on a rimmed baking sheet with a plate on top. Set a canned good on top of the tofu. Don't crush it though! Set this in the fridge and let the water press out of the tofu, before slicing or frying.


Marinated Tofu

Cubed or sliced tofu (pressed, fried or cold)

For the marinade/sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted 
2-4 teaspoons peeled ginger grated
5 tablespoons coconut aminos 
1 jalapeno seeded, chopped- or a 1-2 teaspoons of  Rooster brand Chili Garlic sauce
1-2 teaspoons lime juice
salt to taste

Garnish
1-2 tablespoons scallions
1 Thai bird chili, sliced ribs/seeds removed - optional I don't use this if the girls are eating this. Or I make them a separate sauce.
Cilantro
Sesame seeds


For the marinade:
Mix ingredients except sesame seeds or place in a blender until combined. 
Add the sesame seeds and stir.
Chill, covered in the refrigerator until serving time.

Depending on presentation you can cube the tofu or slice it. 
Pan fry in oil, if desired.
Pour the marinade over the top and serve. Garnish with whatever garnishes you have on hand.
You can serve this with cold soba noodles, or a salad of julienne cucumber, carrot, radishes etc.

 Lao omelet, Papaya salad and marinated tofu.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.