I'm on a breakfast food kick. I love all-purpose flour pancakes; I love whole-grain ones also, but there is just something about the soft AP ones. These are light and fluffy. I don't know how many batches of pancakes I made my family eat trying to get enough rise on these.
I generally prefer breakfast foods later in the day- well, except for bacon; I can eat bacon anytime of the day.
I generally prefer breakfast foods later in the day- well, except for bacon; I can eat bacon anytime of the day.
I have made pancakes with sour cream, yogurt, and even mascarpone, and they were all good- just not as light, so I used buttermilk for these. I wish I could find some real buttermilk. Half the time I just sour the milk with vinegar, lemon, or lime juice. Sometimes buttermilk powder. If you do have buttermilk and don't use it all, freeze it in an ice cube tray. You'll have portions to use when needed. This is perfect for coconut milk also!
GPAC Buttermilk Pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached)
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups buttermilk, or soured milk
5 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs beaten
(optional- fold in chocolate chips or fruit; add any of these to spice things up: freshly grated nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, pie spices, ground ginger, ginger chips, and molasses)
- Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl; gently/lightly stir in wet ingredients until there are no BIG lumps. Don't over-stir.
- Cook on a hot griddle -seasoned/lightly oiled. Test the griddle/pan by adding a drop of water. If it sizzles and bounces off the surface, it's hot enough.
- I used about 1/4 cup of batter, cooked the first side until you get bubbles on the edges. Flip them over and cook the other side.
+copy.jpg)
+(2)+copy.jpg)
+copy.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.