Thursday, November 17, 2016

Kitchen Sink Chunk Cookies


The weather is getting cooler around here, it's a rainy morning so I'm sitting down to update. With a cup of tea at my side and cookies... you know, so I can taste the to make sure they are still yummy. To post, because I don't want to post cookies that aren't still yummy. I better have two just to make sure :). I let my kids have one after breakfast, two days in a row now. I'm cool like that.
How is the weather where you are? I'm so ready for fall. My parents are planning a visit. I can't wait. They will get to see the leaves change color, come to a couple soccer games. It'll just be nice having them here. Maybe I should makes some of this cookie dough to keep in the freezer. Because cookies.
I like this Kitchen Sink Chunk Cookie recipe because it doesn't require me to think ahead and soften butter. I think most of the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes and cookie recipes that I like use melted butter. I will say I like cookies that are chewy, so I prefer using bread flour. You can swap out AP flour in equal amounts if you prefer, or if that's what you happen to have on hand. Adding oats would also be easy to do, swap out some of the flour for rolled oats, or use some as your mix-ins. This recipe is easily tweaked. See the notes below for variations.
I used dried tart cherries and chocolate bars for this batch, because I didn't have any chocolate chips in the house! Yikes.


Kitchen Sink Chunk Cookies

Dry ingredients:
500 grams, (4 cups) all-purpose flour, or bread flour
2.5 grams, (1/2 teaspoon) baking soda
2.5 grams, (1/2 teaspoon) baking powder
6 grams (1 teaspoon) salt

Wet ingredients:
340 grams (1-1/2 cups) unsalted butter, melted
400 grams (2 cups) LIGHTLY packed brown sugar
(200 grams) 1 cup white sugar
30 mil (2 tablespoons) vanilla extract
2 egg
2 egg yolk

(670 grams) 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, nuts, dried fruit, crumbled bacon, etc. *
  1.  Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
  2. Cream the butter and sugars well. By hand or with a mixer.
  3. Add vanilla to the creamed butter and sugars.
  4. Add eggs and beat well.
  5. Stir flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
  6. Stir in any combination of mix-ins you like.
  7. Place dough bowl into the oven for about 30-45 minutes.
  8. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. I baked these on convection but you don't have to use convection.
  9. Use a cookie scoop (mine is a two tablespoon scoop) and place dough on parchment lined cookie sheets.
  10. Bake for 12-14 minutes. 


  • For puffier cookies use 5 grams of baking soda (1 teaspoon) and no baking powder.
  • Chill the dough for cookies that are even fatter.
  • For thin cookies, you don't need to chill the dough.
  • Measurement and weight for the mix-ins is approximate, some dried fruit will weigh less than the same volume of chocolate etc. The recipes is very forgiving.
  • Freezer tip: After step six you can scoop out the dough and freeze it on a cookie sheet. Once frozen you can put them in a container and store in the freezer. To bake, follow above instructions adding a minute or two to the baking time.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.