Saturday, April 6, 2013

Banana Cake Bars


I found these Banana Bread Bars on Pinterest, here is the original link for you. I made very slight changes. I know it says Banana Bread Bars, but let's face it this is cake. Just baked thinner. It doesn't have the same texture as a bar brownie or blondie at ALL. It has a moist tender crumb though, very cake like. So very easy to make also.
I reduced the amount of sugar, and this is still PLENTY sweet for us. I added some spices that we like in our banana bread. I think the icing/frosting is a great addition, but this can be eaten without like a snacking cake. I also like less frosting/icing on my piece. 


Banana Cake Bars

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup sour cream (8 ounce container)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt

Optional
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips or cinnamon chips

Cream cheese icing
4 ounces (1/2 block) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons softened butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla.
1-2 tablespoons milk
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375.
Prepare a half sheet jelly roll pan by greasing it. I lined mine with parchment, then sprayed the parchment.
Beat the sugar and butter, until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, beat well. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat well. Mix in mashed bananas.
Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of the mixer. Use the lowest setting to stir and incorporate. Then increase the speed to medium for one minute. Stir in mix ins at this point.
Pour into the prepared jelly roll pan, the batter will be a little thick. Smooth the top if the batter does not reach the corners of the pan.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Test with a toothpick to check if the cake is done.
Remove from the oven and make the icing.
Beat the butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add cinnamon and powdered sugar, stir to incorporate. Add vanilla. Then turn the mixer on medium high and beat until smooth. Add milk if needed.
Spread this over the cake.



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. This recipe looks very tasty! Just dropping by from
    The Chicken Chick!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bars sound very good...Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks so yummy...I love the combination of creaminess and bananas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.