Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Coconut Cream Pumpkin Ice Cream (GF/DF)

I love pumpkin. I usually stock up on it in the fall. Both pumpkins to process and freeze and canned pumpkin. I have an abundance of canned pumpkin right now that I needed to use up so I don't have to store it in my tiny kitchen. I also have quite a bit of coconut milk since it was on sale. So, I thought, what should I make?
Pumpkin bread pudding? Pumpkin pancakes? Pumpkin shakes? Pumpkin custard- but I still can't figure out my mom's way of making her coconut pumpkin custard. Then I thought, it's hot out, so something cold... mmm ice cream! I have a Pumpkin Chai Spiced one posted HERE. So I thought why not? I could just make it simple, no custard, no cook, easy peasy right? 
I used ingredients in my pantry. Mixed them up. Poured them into my ice cream maker, decided there was too much and put half of it in the fridge for a second freezing. Which made it too hard anyway, and I had to let it sit out to eat the next time I wanted some. I don't have pictures of the finished results. I'm sorry! Maybe next time I'll add one.
You don't need all of these ingredients, I just took it so you could decide what you want to use yourself. As far as vanillas and sweeteners

Coconut Cream Pumpkin Ice Cream

2 cans Coconut milk 
1 can pumpkin puree, or homemade
3/4 cup sweetener (maple syrup, honey, brown sugar)
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (use the search function for my recipe)
3 tablespoons homemade vanilla extract- see my note and maybe get some store bought stuff
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste- optional, I love this stuff so I used it
pinch of salt
 2-3 pieces of minced crystallized ginger- optional

Mix everything up. Put it in your ice cream maker. Freeze. Enjoy! (See my note about freezing in the freezer.)


Notes-
Next time I will NOT use the homemade vanilla extract. Why? Because once it was frozen in the freezer I could taste the vodka. Whew, light headed. :P It's not the extract, it's steeped well and is perfect for cooking.

Because this freezes so solid and it tastes better- to me, right out of the machine. I won't make a ton, just enough for us to eat right away. So next time I'll halve the recipe.

I also want to try adding sweetened condensed milk, which throws the whole DF thing out the window. But it sounds good to me!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.