Monday, December 13, 2010

Nantucket Cranberry Pie

I know right, this isn't a pie. Who cares, it's good. I don't do much with cranberries, I make cranberry sauce, cookies and breads. That's it. Well, I also put dried cranberries in a post Thanksgiving chicken salad. That's about it. When I came across this recipe, I had to try it. This is INCREDIBLY simple and easy. You can search for the recipe, there are several- Food network, cooking blogs, and Laurie Colwin's More Home Cooking cookbook.
I made one without  nuts for Diva who insisted she loves cranberries. She only tried it. But it was at least something.  DH and I really liked this. It is more like a cake, like a dump cake. The crust on top from the sprinkling of sugar is almost like taking your spoon and tapping the top of a Creme Brulee. Crisp. I liked this warm and room temperature, with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. This Nantucket Cranberry pie does have a lot of sugar, but considering how tart cranberries are I didn't adjust the amount, I did substitute regular sugar for Love Abounds Vanilla Bean Specialty Sugar. I also added a grating/dusting of nutmeg over the filling and in the batter.

Filling
Butter to liberally grease the pie pan/oven safe skillet (about 10 inches)
2 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries- if they are frozen don't thaw them
1/2 cup Vanilla Bean Specialty Sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans- optional
nutmeg

Batter
3/4 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of almond extract
pinch of salt
nutmeg
Topping
1 tablespoon Vanilla Bean Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Liberally butter the pan/skillet/cast iron. Put the cranberries in the bottom of the pan. Grate a tiny but of nutmeg over the top of the cranberries or add a pinch to the sugar before sprinkling it on the berries.





Sprinkle sugar and nuts on top. (Or just omit the nuts.)










Stir the butter, sugar, eggs, extract and salt in a separate bowl.





Add the flour and nutmeg to the sugar mixture. Stir.

The batter will be thick. Pour it on top of the cranberries and smooth out as much as you can.






Bake for 40-45 minutes. Five minutes before removing from the oven sprinkle with Vanilla Bean Sugar.

YUM.








Diva's no nut pie.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.