Friday, November 26, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread (Pumpkin)

A friend of mine gave me some Amish Friendship Bread starter.  After the first batch I decided no more and froze my starter LOL. I didn't LOVE this bread the first time I made it. The second time I omitted the pudding mix and added 1 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spices. I also reduced the sugar from 1 cup to 3/4 cup. YUM.

To about 1 cup of the starter add
1 cup oil
1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree 1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl combine the following dry ingredients and mix well:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup nuts
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix and pour into two well greased and sugared bread pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

The Recipe

Important Note: Don't use metal spoons or equipment. Do not refrigerate. Use only glazed ceramic or plastic bowls or containers.
Required Main Ingredient
1 cup live yeast starter (see above)
day 1:
Do nothing with the starter.
days 2-5:
Stir with a wooden spoon.
day 6:
Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Stir with a wooden spoon.
days 7-9:
Stir with a wooden spoon.
Day 10:
Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir. Take out 3 cups and place 1 cup each into three separate plastic containers. Give one cup and a copy of this recipe to three friends. To the balance (a little over one cup) of the batter, follow the recipe above.
Made some mini's to freeze too.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. So what exactlly is the starter? I'm soo confused..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can freeze the starter and it comes back to life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mommadisco- you can google the recipe for a starter but usually someone gifts it to you
    Erika- I don't know I'm going to find out, I've read both yes and no on that one lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.