Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sprouting Sprouts 101

In case all these pork fat posts I give you freshly sprouted sprouts. (I have another bacon post coming up.)
The older girls and I love fresh sprouts, bean sprouts, mung bean, broccoli, alfalfa, radish type of sprouts. This is so easy to do and it's fun for the kids to watch them sprout also. It doesn't take weeks on end so it's perfect for children to see results fairly quickly.  So here you go something healthy and fresh and vibrant green.
We get our sprouting seeds online- clover, alfalfa, broccoli, clover, and more. Raddish is yummy spicy. I have a sprouter that looks like this




and a Mason Jar lid like this
I like them both, but prefer the glass jar. It's cheaper and you're not storing in plastic. If younger children are helping you the plastic one is nice though. Glass jars are slippery. But my girls haven't ever dropped it so, whatever floats your boat.
My mom used a steamer basket to sprout bean sprouts when we were children.
Sprouting is easy.  Take if from a girl with a black thumb.

Sprouting 101

Container for sprouting
Seeds

1. Add about 1 tablespoon of seeds into your container. Fill with room temperature water and let it soak over night.
2. Drain and rinse the seeds. 
3. Drain them well. I leave the mason jar tipped on the side a bit, but still leaving room for air flow. Do not block the opening. You need clean fresh air to be able to circulate.
4. Rinse your seeds well and drain well everyday. 
5. Once they get little leaves and are ready to eat you can rinse the hulls away. I don't pay too much attention, I rinse what I can off. The rest we eat.
6. Store well rinsed, well drained sprouts in the refrigerator. I keep them in the well drained jar.

* No lid to use for sprouts? Use cheese cloth over a mason jar.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.