Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mushroom Beef Stew

I am determined to find a half dozen good crock pot recipes. It's not easy. I don't really like a lot of foods prepared in a crock pot - everything tastes mashed together and over cooked to me. There are a few things I like made in a crock pot, literally a few things. I am challenging myself to make one crock pot meal a week, I don't know how that will turn out. I love the ease of the crock pot. I love the idea of throwing everything in the pot in the morning and having a good meal at dinner. I think having to brown meats before is a pain, the convenience is lost when I have to wash an extra pot, and I don't have a cool crock pot that I can brown in- I think they rock though.
This stew is good, I did add too much salt/seasonings because I forgot I preseason the meat before I froze it- see note at the bottom. But other than that it didn't taste overcooked. The carrots weren't completely mushy. They were a little soft so next time I may do the meat- frozen, seasonings, flour, potatoes and broth in the AM then add the rest of the veggies a couple of hours before we eat. I think that would be perfect. And while that still means I can't throw it all in and leave it all day, it's better than babysitting the pot.

1 1/2 - 2 pounds stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 tablespoons flour
fresh cracked black pepper
seasoned salt- I used Lawry's
2 cups low sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon tamari
2 cloves garlic minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
4 shiitake mushrooms sliced
4 oz sliced mushrooms
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium potatoes, sliced
1 celery stalk sliced
1 small onion chopped

Place all the ingredients in a crock pot and turn it on low for 8 -10 hours or high for 5 hours. Stir and remove bay leaves before serving. Mine was ready at around 8 hours.
*I cube the meat the day I buy it, toss it in a zip top bag with all the dry seasonings and flour and put it in the freezer. In the morning I just put the meat at the bottom of the crock pot frozen and let it cook. So I don't have to prep too much.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously check out this blog and you can alway read back a year or so to get quite a few recipes, many use tin foil to seperate layers and cook an entire meal with our it being a soup, stew or other conglomeration.


    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.