Friday, May 22, 2009

Beets for Baby


The humble beet, kind of ugly and homey on the outside but so beautiful and vibrant on the inside. I like beets, I think I am the only one in the house that does. Besides Pixie I mean. The older girls try them whenever I have them because I ask them to but I don’t make them take a second bite. The first time I had fresh beets at the house, as in made them myself was when SIL and her family were visiting form Uganda one summer. They were so easy I couldn’t believe I never made them before. Beets are good roasted in the oven also. They are great for baby plain or with other vegetables or yogurt. I like them plain or with butter, salt and pepper.
 
Wash and trim the beets. Boil until tender- this takes a while.
 
Once they are fork tender, run them under cold water to rinse. Then peel with a paring knife. The skin should come right off easily.
 
Puree for baby using a little water or if you let baby have it juice. I wouldn’t use the cooking water, for no other reason than the fact that I don’t like the color. It’s not a vibrant pink like the beets, it’s a mucky brown and beets are dirty since they are a root vegetable. Oh and be careful they stain everything pink. Including diapers.
 
Pin It!

2 comments:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.