Saturday, April 5, 2008

Thunder Cookies- try them, Jesus likes them!

I had been hoping we wouldn't get any thunder storms around here, not because we don't need the rain, because I read the girls a book called "Little Sister, Big Sister" and in the book it talks about thunder storms and it has a recipe for thunder cookies. So of course, we had to make them. And of course they HAD to have raisins in them. UGH, what IS it with raisins? Well I was in luck, not a raisin to be found in the house... what did we use instead? Keep reading. I decided to post pictures with the girls, especially since they were in just about everyone of these anyway.
What are"thunder cookies" you ask? Well the story is about sisters, the youngest is afraid of the thunder storm so the big sister takes her into the kitchen to make these cookies. After they are baked they can't eat the cookies until the little sister signs this little promise that says
"Thunder Cookie Promise- Whenever I am afraid of thunder I promise to remember the first time I made Thunder Cookies and I will try very hard not to be afraid"
I haven't decided what to have Diva sign yet, I might make up a scrapbook/recipe book with a page dedicated to signatures.
When Diva heard thunder while we were making these she said, "Mommy, Jesus must like these cookies, do you hear His tummy?"


Thunder Cookies
What you need
A thunderstorm
Two willing helpers- or more
A patient mama

1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup applesauce
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
(I did add some vanilla)

1 cup raisins We didn't use these (The girls voted and we used orange flavored craisins)
1 cup walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Gather your helpers, have them wash their hands, tie their hair back and give them aprons.
If they are short- the helpers, not the aprons, get them a chair to stand on. One for each helper or they will fight over who has the most room. Not that I would know.
Awwww, cute toes... sorry...
Now measure your sugar and place it into the bowl of your mixer.
Add the butter.
Have an adult cream this together.
Add the eggs...
Measure out the applesauce and put it into the creamed butter mixture. Sneak in some vanilla. Again have an adult mix it up.
Add flour and oats. Mix well.

Why measure the salt when you have willing hands?
Add the salt and  baking soda, cinnamon and cloves...
WATCH your bowl while you put your spices away, or you will see little noses in there smelling that good cinnamon and clove.
Mix everything up. See the little nose? It did smell good.
Now, the craisins walnuts. Stir well. After all the bumps from the raisins and walnuts are supposed to be thunder. Stir it up.
Drop by teaspoonful onto your baking sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes. To my absolute delight and relief the craisins did NOT plump up like raisins when they were in the oven, there is a God in heaven people!


With a fork? With my hands? In my chair? I don't care!
I would eat them anywhere!








Thunder Cookies
What you need
A thunderstorm
Two willing helpers- or more
A patient mama

1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup applesauce
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
(I did add some vanilla)

1 cup raisins We didn't use these (The girls voted and we used orange flavored craisins)
1 cup walnut pieces

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs. Beat well.
Beat applesauce and vanilla into the creamed butter mixture.
Add two cups of flour, oats, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves.
Mix everything up.
Stir in craisins and nuts.Drop by teaspoonful onto your baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes. To my absolute delight and relief the craisins did NOT plump up like raisins when they were in the oven, there is a God in heaven people!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.