Saturday, April 5, 2008

Apple crunch

I wasn't too sure about this recipe, there are some recipes you shouldn't just "wing", and in the middle of this one I thought, hmm I think I need an actual recipe to follow. But it turned out really yummy. The only thing is I didn't have any vanilla ice cream in the house, I haven't made ice cream since DH left, BUT I did buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's Pistachio Pistachio a couple weeks ago so I used that. The color on this crunch is not appealing to me, I might try brown sugar next time instead, the only color it really got was the very light scone color from the evaporated cane juice, I thought the butter would have browned it more. If I had juice in my creme brulee torch I would have pulled it out.
Anyway here we go

4 apples, preferably tart, I had Empires, but it was what I had so I used them.
fresh lemon juice
1/2-3/4 cups of flour I think more towards the 3/4 cup side...
1 tablespoon extra of flour
1/2 cup of sugar, if you have tart apples, use more
1 teaspoon baking powder
salt- just a little like 1/8 teaspoon
cinnamon
ground ginger
vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup of melted butter

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

You don't have to peel your apples, I did and left some skin on, only because Piglet has a hard time chewing apple skin. I am sure it would be fine since it's baked but I haven't let her try this yet. Slice your apples... give some to the little beggar kids standing on a chair next to the counter...




Put the apples in a baking dish, I started out with this one, then transferred because I thought I might need more room. Anyway squeeze some lemon juice over the apples, I would say a tablespoon or two, esp if you don't have tart apples...






Toss them around a bit.









Sprinkle with cinnamon and I guess a tablespoon of flour. Toss that around and set aside.






In a small bowl combine your sugar, flour, cinnamon, ground sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix it up...






Add one egg and a bit of vanilla extract.









Mix it up good.










Melt your butter and have it ready.






Drizzle, or more like put blobs of the flour mixture over the apples.









Pour your butter over everything. Bake this for about 30-35 minutes.






YUM...









YUM again...
Serve it warm with ice cream, in my case get it out of the oven, put the kids to bed and it should be a perfect temperature. The kids can have some tomorrow.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.