I love making my own seasonings at home: taco, dry Ranch, curry powders, Fajita seasonings, and more. I'm able to adjust the spices to our liking without fillers and things we don't want to eat! I love fajitas with lots of veggies. I prefer steak. Shrimp is always yummy.
I use this fajita seasoning on chicken before I grill it, on fish before I put it under the broiler, in a soup or stew; roasted potatoes are good also. I like fajitas served in lettuce; flour and corn tortillas are yummy also. I just don't miss them as much as I thought I would with fajitas. I still like them other times, though! YUM.
H and the girls like beans, mostly black beans. I am not a bean fan. I leave it out of most foods, and serve some on the side when I cook. Like this Frito Pie here this works well for everyone. I do like refried beans though; I'm certain it's because I refry them with bacon fat. Who doesn't like that? These beans are a great side dish, perfect with rice, and on a Tostada that I'll share next week. Until then, let's make beans.
Below are links to both Fajita and Taco seasoning.
Taco Seasoning
IF you have a pressure cooker here's a method to cook dry beans in a fraction of the time.
IF you have a pressure cooker here's a method to cook dry beans in a fraction of the time.
Give Peas A Chance Refried Black Beans
3 (ish) cups of black beans, cooked (if canned, drained and rinsed)
1 cup chicken stock, veggie stock or water are ok also
1 1/2 tablespoons bacon grease, ghee, or olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced or grated with a microplane
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cumin
salt
pepper
- In a pot, heat the bacon grease until melted, add the garlic clove. Let this cook until fragrant.
- Add the black beans and stock. Stir. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer the beans uncovered until half the water is absorbed.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mash the beans on the side of the pot until you get the consistency you like. Some people don't like them mashed at all; other people like them really smooth. I like them in between. Season to taste with cumin, salt, and pepper.
Find me on




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.