I haven't made scones in a long time. I saw some Double Cream at the grocery store and grabbed some, thinking it was a great time to make scones. I have been running around and so busy trying to stay afloat that I just haven't slowed down to enjoy simple things. Always in motion, trying to get the next thing done on my list. It's s simple but these scones gave me a breather. Making them. Enjoying them with a cup of tea, in an actual teacup, with a book. Simple. None of that will negate all I have on my plate right now, but it gave me a good respite.
This recipe is simple, and the scones rise beautifully. The dough came together so quickly. Just work it enough to make sure the flour is hydrated, then leave it alone. The less you handle it the more tender they will be. I also did not use a rolling pin. I just pat the dough so that it is even and about 1-inch high and then used a biscuit cutter to cut them out. Same as when making biscuits, don't twist the cutter.
I love Double Cream. I topped each half of my scone with it and some jelly. Double cream is also good on apple pie. I know some people put jelly or jam on first, then the cream. Do what you like best and enjoy.
Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour (10 ounces by weight)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar, plus some for sprinkling
6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
1/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 425*f.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. (Make sure there are no clumps of baking powder. You can also sift the flour and baking powder.)
- Grate the butter and stir it into the dry ingredients. You want the mixture to be sandy but have some bigger pea-sized lumps of butter.
- Whisk the egg into the cream and milk. Set aside two tablespoons.
- Combine the milk, cream, and egg mixture with the flour.
- Gently knead the dough about 5 to 10 times. Do not overwork the dough.
- Lightly flour your surface and pat the dough into a rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds like a letter. Do this twice.
- Pat or roll the dough to about 1 inch thickness and cut with a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter into rounds. Don't twist the cutter. You'll get about 7 to 8 scones.
- Brush tops with remaining milk mixture and sprinkle each top with some sugar(optional).
- Bake for 13 to 15 mins until golden brown.
- Serve with Devon cream, jam, butter, honey.
Thank you for being here. Have a blessed day.






No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.