A slice of life book about a 300-year-old tea shop that is just delightful. Some basic recipes that seem simple but are so informative as far as time and temperature for brewing different teas. The author tells us how each tea is grown and when it is harvested. There is history woven in with how tea and the tearoom have progressed with the times. I wish I could visit during all the seasons to see their different decor and taste their seasonal offerings. Lovely storytelling that makes you want to explore the region. There are some fun doodles in the book, but it is not really a book to flip through for art. Just scattered throughout, and cute. Ippodo has a website and ships their tea all over the world. I can't wait to try the HÅjicha.
Description
A charming, lightly illustrated exploration of the history of green tea and matcha, Japanese tea culture, and daily life in Kyoto by the owner of the 300-year-old Ippodo Tea shop.
At the family-owned Ippodo tea store in Kyoto, time passes at the gentle pace of green tea leaves brewing in a kyusu teapot. Written by the store’s current owner, Miyako Watanabe, Tales of Green Tea offers an account of everyday life at this beloved spot, but also of the knowledge, encounters, and discoveries that come with a life steeped in tea.
Composed of short, evocative sections that move through the seasons and engage the senses, along with charming tea-themed illustrations, Tales of Green Tea is at all times moving, nostalgic, funny, and informative. From the historical origins of tea, right up to modern day tea commerce and culture, and many reminiscences in between, we explore the endless flow of tales to be found in a simple cup of tea, alongside best practices for home brewing and recipes for tea snacks.
Amazon reviews Katereviews.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.