|Vietnamese Chicken Curry (Cà Ri Gà)|
This is the same recipe that is posted here, I just adapted it for cooking in my Instant Pot. I'm using the same picture because I forgot to take a picture before dinner. The picture below, is what's leftover from last night. Oops. It's leftovers from dinner and leftovers from after packing my kids lunches. Just not as pretty a picture is it, no carrots, etc? I will say though that it tastes even better today! No complaints here on flavor.
I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs. Because I had already processed chicken for the freezer and used the bones for stock. I also wanted to be able to cook everything (as far as vegetables and meat) together. Bone in just takes longer and carrots don't. I also added tofu last night, my oldest seems to be on a tofu kick.
This method is easy and there's no need to check on a simmering pot. I do prefer it over the stove top method!
Vietnamese Chicken Curry
(Ragu or Cà Ri Gà)
Marinate the chicken:
3-4 pounds boneless skinless chicken, cut into 2 inch pieces (Breasts or thighs)
2 tablespoons oil (Olive oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil, avocado oil- whatever you like)
2 tablespoons madras curry powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne or ground Thai chili powder
2-4 tablespoons oil, divided
3 cloves garlic peeled and grated/minced
1 shallot, minced
2-4 kaffir lime leaves
2 stalks of lemongrass, outer dry leaves removed, bruised and cut into 3 inch pieces
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and bruised with the flat side of a knife
3 tablespoons madras curry powder
1 teaspoon dried chili flakes or Thai chili powder, or to taste (optional)
1 medium onion, chopped
1.5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 2 inch pieces (see note)
3 carrots, peeled and cut into about 2 inch diagonal slices
Salt, pepper, fish sauce
1.5-2 cups chicken stock, low sodium
3/4 can of unsweetened coconut milk, I use Thai Kitchen it's about 13 oz.
- Place the chicken and marinade ingredients in a big bowl. Toss to coat and cover. Marinate at least 30 minutes to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the Instant Pot, SAUTE HIGH. Brown chicken on all sides. Removing pieces as they get browned.
- Brown the potatoes on all sides in the same pot, adding oil if needed. Remove from the pot.
- Add remaining oil to the pot, if needed. Add garlic, shallot, Kaffir leaves,lemongrass stalks, ginger, curry powder, carrots, and chili flakes/powder. Cook on medium heat until fragrant and shallots are translucent.
- Add about 1/2 cup chicken stock and deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping off the caramelized food stuck at the bottom. This is important, you want to get up all that flavor, and your Instant Pot will not come up to pressure if there's chicken bits stuck to the bottom.
- Add chicken and any juices from the chicken, onions, and potatoes to the pot.
- Add the remaining stock. Turn off the saute mode.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to MANUAL HIGH PRESSURE for NINE minutes. Once the cycle is complete CAREFULLY release the pressure.
- Stir in the coconut milk, and cubed tofu if desired.
- Cook on saute mode for 1-2 minutes to heat up coconut milk and tofu.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper, and or fish sauce.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and sliced baguette or rice. Enjoy it with cauliflower rice for a grain free meal.
Potatoes- I prefer Yukon gold, then red potatoes. Use what you have and like. You can also do a combination of sweet potatoes, white potatoes, purple potatoes, etc.
Find me on