Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Free Friday- Best Mother's Day Gift Ever

The new "Little Black Book".
**Another update!! I won the NerdWallet Contest for Best Overall entry! I was so surprised! Go check out the other amazing entries. Check out the write up Nerd Wallet.
**It's not Friday, but I just didn't want to wait to post this, just in case you want to run out and get a book of your own ;) **
It's almost Mother's day. I wanted to share with you all the best gift ever. See that black book up there? It's a little worn looking. But, that's it. The best gift ever I mean. I know it doesn't look like much, but didn't your mother teach you not to judge a book by it's cover? ;)
Let me tell you about this book. About how a black,  9x13 inch (ish), less than $15, blank book could be the best gift ever. I haven't had this book for long, since about 2011. But every holiday, birthday, or anytime my girls want to get me a gift they use this book. They draw pictures, write letters or poetry for me. They fill the blank pages with their artwork and thoughts. I get to see their writing improve, their pictures get more detail.  I get to look back and see what they are "into" at the moment. Princess flying unicorns, snakes, peacocks, and more. On some pages the girls have just traced their hands. At the beginning  my oldest girl had to help my youngest by writing her name and date for her. Now my youngest can write her own name. *sniff*
I love my book. It's very special to me. When it's full, I'll add another. It's perfect, there's no wondering what to get mom, there's no need to spend money on trinkets. There's no cards and papers scattered all over the place.
How sweet are Diva's pictures of us on the beach and having a tea party? She even wrote a poem.
Piglet's picture on the left and Pixie's on the right.

This year I think I'll do a questionnaire with my girls and record their answers in my book.

Questions like
What do you think a mom's easiest job is?
What do you think a mom's hardest job is?
What is something your mom is great at?
What is something your mom loves to do when she's alone? (Errm I don't know if that's a good one, alone? huh? What's that? But I'm brainstorming here.)
What is your mom's favorite food?
What is something your mom always says?
How tall is your mom?
What was your mom like as a little girl?

What other questions should I ask?
Also what about you? Do you have a favorite Mother's day gift you've received or given?
Would you like to see more Mother's Day posts? Check out Nerd Wallets Mother's Day Your Way Contest entries!

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I love it!! I think I'll do one for Father's Day. It also represents how not every holiday you have to spend money on people you live and makes it not be a materialistic kind of holiday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! My boys are always drawing pictures on random scraps of paper or writing things, so a book for them to fill up would be great. This would be a great Mother's Day gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your win. This is a wonderful idea! The journal keeps things neat and organized - and small, and is easy to save and treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.