Thursday, October 4, 2012

Spinach Cheese Pinwheels, and more!

I found this recipe on the back of my Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry box. The original recipe calls for Muenster cheese, I use whatever is on hand. In this case a Mexican four cheese blend. For the frozen spinach, I let it thaw, then wrap it in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and SQUEEZE the water out. You want it to be DRY. If you don't like Parmesan cheese, sometimes I think it's too strong, leave it out and use 3/4 cups of shredded cheese.
Mix up fillings as you like, use pesto, different cheese, jalapeno/cheese/cream cheese, pepperoni and cheese, shredded chicken/bell peppers/cheese, dried fruit and nuts chopped up, so many options!

Do you use a lot of puff pastry? What's your favorite thing to make with it?
How about 

(Spinach Cheese) Pinwheels

Adapted from a Pepperidge Farm recipe
1 sheet of puff pastry from a 17.3 ounce box of puff pastry, thawed
Flour
1 egg +1 tablespoon of water beaten
Filling-
1/2 cup shredded cheese- anything that's not to moist or greasy
 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Pinch of nutmeg
10 ounces of frozen cut spinach, thawed with liquid squeezed out

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Sprinkle work surface with flour, place unfolded pastry sheet on top. The pastry sheet should be about 10x12 inches, you can lightly roll it out with a floured rolling pin.
Mix the filling ingredients together.
Brush the pastry with egg wash.
Sprinkle filling ingredients over the pastry.
Starting at the short (10 inch) side, roll the pastry and filling like a jelly roll. Just like a jelly roll don't roll this too tight.
Place a little egg wash on the end to seal the roll.
Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
Place on baking sheets, I line mine with parchment.
Brush lightly with egg wash.
Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips-
Squeeze thawed spinach in a clean kitchen towel or in paper towels to remove all liquid.
Mix up fillings as you like, use pesto, different cheese, jalapeno/cheese/cream cheese, pepperoni and cheese, shredded chicken/bell peppers/cheese, nutella- not too much it oozes, cream cheese/green chilie/ black olives, dried fruit and nuts chopped up, so many options!


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Those look really good. I would love to try and make them when I have time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I love your cute little blog and I reposted this recipe (with a link back and shout out) onto my new blog, just wanted to be polite and let you know :)
    Sincerely,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.