Monday, July 25, 2011

Lingonberry bread mix from Ikea

 
Sometimes I have these brilliant ideas and it always seems like they are good ideas and they play out really well in my head. While I was at Ikea with my family I saw this Lingonberry bread mix.  "Just add water!" Simple enough. It looked good just as is. But I stood there thinking, "ohh, tart lingonberries would be wonderful in a sweet roll. I'll add a little sugar and butter to the dough, roll it up with a mixture of butter and cinnamon sugar. Ta-DA cinnamon rolls!" They are going to look and taste even better than say... these (picture from Bing).  My mouth was watering.


SO I bought couple of these.
I decided to try the cinnamon rolls the other day. I added a couple of tablespoons of sugar, some vanilla and a few tablespoons of butter into the dough along with the water. I put it all in the bread machine and pushed dough cycle. So far so good. I did add a little flour because it was sticky. I mixed up some brown sugar, butter and cinnamon for the filling. When the dough was done I floured my roul pat and rolled out half of the dough. Put the cinnamon sugar on top and rolled it up. The kids and I were like oh this is going to be good. But it was SO soft. I mean like the scene in Sleeping Beauty, when Fauna was baking a cake for Briar Rose and she's putting the candles on and they are sliding off because it hasn't been baked. But she's already frosted the cake and put the candles on top. Remember this?


 I was certain I couldn't slice through it without it just melting into a pool of dough, sugar and butter. So I had Diva help me with the dough scraper on one side and I lifted the other side of the roll. We gently and quickly lifted the roll and put it in my pullman pan. The other roll was put into a regular pan. Seam side down. 

Whew. Brushed with with an egg wash, let it rise again and then baked it for about 25-30 minutes in a I think it was 350 degree oven? Whatever temperature it said on the package.
The bread was good. It's a good toasting bread. I think part of the problem is that, I read lingonberry and I thought ohh, this is a sweet soft bread. But it isn't. There really isn't a visible lingonberries either. The mix really is for a more rustic loaf. Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside a little tart. Dense whole wheat. It isn't made to be soft.  So it wasn't a total fail, the bread was a great toasting bread, but it wasn't what I envisioned in my head.
 The ingredients are- Wheat flour, whole grain rye flour, rye bran, barley malt, wheat gluten, salt, sugar, sour dough powder, dextrose, dehydrated lingonberries and lecithin (Canola). Dried yeast.
Would I purchase this mix again? If I was already at Ikea but I wouldn't make a special trip. It's not horrible for you (unless you're Paleo/Primal/Gluten free).



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.