Monday, September 13, 2010

Cincinnati Style Chili


This is not a spicy or even smoky chili, certainly not your everyday chili and beans. We all loved this. Yes even Pixie! I used black beans as a garnish instead of pinto beans. We also had cheese, onion, spaghetti and sliced jalapenos.

Give Peas A Chance Cincinnati Style Chili

Recipe Adapted from Cook's Country
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 mince onions 
1 carrot grated and minced (if you don't use the carrot, Cook's Country adds 2 teaspoons of dark brown sugar)
1/2 bell pepper minced (optional)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 garlic cloves minced
1/4  teaspoon ground all spice
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar (if not using the carrot)
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (I used 81%)
salt and pepper
Heat oil in a dutch oven, add onions, carrot and bell pepper. Cook until softened. Stir in tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon pepper and allspice. Cook for about a minute.


Stir in broth, tomato sauce, vinegar and sugar.



Add ground beef and break up any large pieces. Simmer and cook until thickened.
I cooked it for about 40 minutes.
TASTE, salt and pepper if needed.



Diva had three servings!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.