Saturday, July 5, 2008

Shepard's Pie

Shepard's Pie

Nothing too spectacular about this. Except this is the first time I think I have had it. Can I just be lazy and copy and paste from my other blog? Of course I can this is my blog, no one cares right? Here you go...
I had Shepherds Pie today, I don't recall ever having it before. It's never appealed to me. I am not a big white potato eater, casseroles do nothing for me... but I made one tonight. OK I actually went overboard on the meat so I ended up with two, one to freeze and one for dinner tonight... and tomorrow night. Which is fine Sunday's are so busy with church that leftovers for dinner are welcomed. DH and the girls liked it and I did too surprisingly. While it was in the oven I was talking to DH about it and I told him I hope it tastes right I haven't had it before, the more we talked about it I discovered that the Shepard's pies DH has eaten have cheese on top so I ran to put cheese on top. I am so clueless. I did use frozen vegetables, I was too lazy to cut carrots and such and steam them. But I think next time I will use fresh vegetables. I do think it would be great with leftover lamb stew. Which would be more appealing to me.
So what's in this version?

Sauteed onions
ground beef- I seasoned it with homemade taco seasoning
Worcestershire sauce
ketchup
garlic powder
1 can of beef consume
2 cups water
1/4 cup flour
frozen vegetables
Shredded cheese
mashed potatoes- made with five potatoes, butter, milk, sour cream and seasonings

The run down
Make the potatoes and set them aside.
I peel and cut mine up, boil until fork tender and drain very well. I whip them up with butter, sour cream, milk and seasonings- salt, pepper... sometimes fresh garlic and chives.
For the meat-
Saute the chopped onions, add the beef to brown. Season the meat as desired- I didn't add salt, the consume has enough for us. Drain the mixture leaving some fat to make a roux. Add flour to the mixture and cook for a minute or so. Add consume, water, ketchup, garlic powder and other seasonings as desired, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until a thick gravy forms.
In a baking dish place the beef mixture, top with frozen vegetables or fresh ones that have been steamed.
Cover with mashed potatoes.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing the recipe !! copied it down and hope to get to it this weekend !! been wanting a tried and true recipe for sheperd pie forever !

    you have a great week ahead, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was excited to look at your site and it seems like you have great recipes and ideas but I'm having a super hard time reading your site with the copywrite right over the photos and the background design coming through the writing. Just wanted to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna thanks for bringing that to my attention, the copyright is on the photos because it was brought to my attention that my pictures were being used on another blog...
    as far as the back ground, I may look around and change it if it doesn't require too much thought and computer savvy, since I have none LOL thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nates, this looks so yummy! I I am going to try this out! I am not very good in the kitchen but am trying to get better. Thanks for posting!
    happymommy526

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.