Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bagels and Bagel Dogs

I need to make things I can freeze to grab real quick for dinners that are portable. The girls have swimming almost all this month so I want to make things easier. I used an egg bagel recipe but you can use any bagel recipe you want.

I used my bread machine for the dough because it's easier when I am in a hurry but you don't need a bread machine at all.
3/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3 cups bread flour (I used both white and whole wheat)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Place in bread maker and hit dough cycle OR

Proof the yeast with the water and sugar. Let it set, make a well in the center of the mixed dry ingredients. Whisk egg into proofed yeast mixture. Pour into well of the dry ingredients. Bring it together and knead. Place in a bowl. Cover and let rise... or at least that's what I would do.

On to the fun part...

You will need
hot dogs
toppings for the bagels- poppy seeds, fried shallots, sesame seeds



















Once the dough is finished place it on a lightly floured surface.









Punch it down then flatten it a little.








Cut it into 4 equal portions.








Cut each of those portions into three pieces.








Roll each piece into a ball for bagels. I just tucked them to form little rolls.








Poke a hole in the center. And then gently make the hole bigger about 1-2 inches in diameter.






Place on a cookie sheet to rise again.







Keep making them...
You want bagel dogs you say???









Take a piece of dough.








Roll it into a strip.







Place the hot dog on the strip like this.








Roll it up, let it overlap a little as you cover the whole hot dog, like an ace bandage. I knew my nursing training would come in handy one day.






Let everything rise for another20-30 minutes.









In a big pot of water with either 2 tablespoons of sat or 2 tablespoons of sugar place the bagels. Let them simmer for 3 minutes turn them over once.
(same withe bagel dogs)



Place on a cookie sheet- I used my pizza stone.
Sprinkle with toppings.







Bake at 375 degrees for 17-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack.

(These can be frozen once cooked)
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. its definitely the hot dogs one for me (actually, for my kids) !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea for those hot dogs, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, mine stuck to the pan. Did you grease your pan first? I also need to make the hotdog strips smaller than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Vipha I did NOT grease the pan...
    i did however use a pizza baking stone...
    did you use a cookie sheet that is coated or a non coated on?
    you could try to grease the cookie sheet or use parchment?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.