Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bagels and Bagel Dogs

I need to make things I can freeze to grab real quick for dinners that are portable. The girls have swimming almost all this month so I want to make things easier. I used an egg bagel recipe but you can use any bagel recipe you want.

I used my bread machine for the dough because it's easier when I am in a hurry but you don't need a bread machine at all.
3/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3 cups bread flour (I used both white and whole wheat)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Place in bread maker and hit dough cycle OR

Proof the yeast with the water and sugar. Let it set, make a well in the center of the mixed dry ingredients. Whisk egg into proofed yeast mixture. Pour into well of the dry ingredients. Bring it together and knead. Place in a bowl. Cover and let rise... or at least that's what I would do.

On to the fun part...

You will need
hot dogs
toppings for the bagels- poppy seeds, fried shallots, sesame seeds



















Once the dough is finished place it on a lightly floured surface.









Punch it down then flatten it a little.








Cut it into 4 equal portions.








Cut each of those portions into three pieces.








Roll each piece into a ball for bagels. I just tucked them to form little rolls.








Poke a hole in the center. And then gently make the hole bigger about 1-2 inches in diameter.






Place on a cookie sheet to rise again.







Keep making them...
You want bagel dogs you say???









Take a piece of dough.








Roll it into a strip.







Place the hot dog on the strip like this.








Roll it up, let it overlap a little as you cover the whole hot dog, like an ace bandage. I knew my nursing training would come in handy one day.






Let everything rise for another20-30 minutes.









In a big pot of water with either 2 tablespoons of sat or 2 tablespoons of sugar place the bagels. Let them simmer for 3 minutes turn them over once.
(same withe bagel dogs)



Place on a cookie sheet- I used my pizza stone.
Sprinkle with toppings.







Bake at 375 degrees for 17-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack.

(These can be frozen once cooked)
Pin It!