Thursday, May 22, 2008

Steamed Artichokes

It's summery around here, strawberries and now artichokes. We were at the grocery store and Diva saw these and tells me, "I want those for dinner!" We both love steamed artichokes. This is the first time Piglets had fresh artichoke, I think, it was hard for her to learn how to eat it. I am sure there is a "proper" way to prepare these, but this is how I do it.

Artichokes
whole peppercorns
bay leaves
slices of lemon
butter
Lemon juice/fresh
dill weed



Cut off the stem of the artichoke.








With kitchen shears snip off the tips.









Then slice off the top...







like this.
I hear squeezing fresh lemon juice on top before steaming keeps it a nice bright green I haven't tried it.






In a pot add some water, just to come up to a steamer basket. Place some peppercorns, bay leaves and slices of lemon in the water. Bring to a boil





Place artichokes in a steamer basket into the pot. Cover and let steam for ... 25 minutes?








Melt some butter for the dipping sauce.







Add lemon juice...








and dill weed.
Serve with the artichokes. There are plenty of "how to eat"artichoke tutorials I am sure, no need to bore you with that, just don't eat the furry choke, and scrape the flesh off with your teeth.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. you are such a good cook !!! I am constantly amazed by your wealth of knowledge in cookery !! I didnt know that one cook artichoke that way. We dont have artichoke over here in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have wanted to make artichoke since the first time my aunt made them for me about 10 years ago. after your blog on them, i took the plunge! my husband and i ate two whole ones. they will be a regular around here now. so delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.