Monday, April 21, 2008

Whole wheat profiteroles

I made these cream puffs with White whole wheat flour, not because I wanted to though. I usually use all purpose but, I ran out of all purpose flour. Now these turned out great, but I think because of the flour I used they aren't as light in color, they are light in texture though. And they did puff up and were hallow in the middle. You can fill these with chicken salad, ice cream, pudding, or as Diva and I have been doing, eat them plain. If you are serving them for a group or at a party you can make them smaller. You can even fill them with ice cream and freeze them until you want to serve them. Anything wet like chicken salad should be assembled before serving. But that would be cute for a little tea party.

Whole Wheat Profiteroles

1 stick of butter, plus some for the baking sheets
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour- spooned and leveled
4 large eggs lightly beaten
1 egg plus a little bit of water beaten for an egg wash- most people use only the yolk but I don't bother separating the egg



Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the racks on the upper and lower thirds of the oven. In a heavy sauce pan combine butter, salt and water. Bring it to a boil until butter melts.





Reduce the heat to medium and add the flour.









Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until the flour mixture starts to form a ball and doesn't stick to the sides of the pot. About 1 minute. Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.







Beat four eggs and with a hand held mixture beat in the eggs, a little bit at a time.








At first your mixture will look like this, don't worry it comes together... just slowly add the egg and incorporated it completely before adding more.







The mixture will be smooth like this in the end.









Get the egg wash ready and grease two pans for baking.








You can either drop by tablespoon full onto the greased sheets about 2 inches apart. OR you can use a pastry bag to pipe a circle, I find that works best, but I just used my cookie scoop this time around. Lightly brush a THIN layer of egg wash on the tops of these. Bake them for 20-25 minutes until puffed and browned. Rotate racks in the middle of cooking.





To help them dry out on the inside you can take them out of the oven, turn it OFF and poke the side of each puff and return it to the oven for 5-10 minutes.






Once cooled split them and fill them. These ones have whipped cream and strawberries, the other has Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream in it.







Put the tops back on, drizzle with hot fudge sauce if you want...









OR top with more whipped cream and a strawberry.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Yum....yet another recipe I'll have to do. I LOVE puffs!!! Cesar doesn't. I can eat all of it!!!


    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief this looks amazing... drool...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.