Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pho Ga (Chicken Pho)

I prefer beef pho over chicken any day, but both Diva and DH prefer chicken so I lose that battle all the time. I love beef pho with rare slices of beef, beef meatballs, tripe all that yummy goodness. It is really a simple process- well the way I do it anyway. This is about the same way my mom does it also.

Pho Ga (Chicken Pho)

1 Chicken - preferably the hen, it has a better flavor for this, I didn't have one on hand so I used a roaster. Wash and pat dry, remove innards.
2 Stalks of celery
2 whole carrots
1 Onion peeled and sliced in half
Chunk of fresh ginger crushed
1 Small Daikon Radish peeled and cut into big chunks
2 Star anise
1 whole cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon coriander seed
2 Tbs whole black pepper corns
1 head of garlic
2-3 Cartons Low Sodium Chicken broth, or homemade stock (water can be used also)

Serve with-
Rice noodles (medium width)
Daikon spiralized, for a Paleo pho
Lime wedges
Thai Basil
Fresh Cilantro
Bean Sprouts
Hoisin Sauce
Fish Sauce
Chili paste
Thai bird Chilies
Place all ingredients for broth into a big stock pot.





My spices are placed into a tea bag and dropped into the pot.





Onion and spice bundle ready to go for a swim. (If you have time put the onion, garlic, and spices under the broilers, don't let them burn but char that onion.)




Happy little pot...





Bring this up to a boil. Then lower the heat to a very low simmer for an hour or until your chicken is done. Take the chicken out. Discard ginger, spice bag, celery stalks and onion. Cool for a bit, then shred chicken by hand.


Skim fat off the top of your broth regularly.





Soak your rice noodles in cold water for at least 3 hours.




To serve you need to dip your noodles into boiling water for about 10-15 seconds. Place in a bowl with shredded chicken. Ladle soup and veggies over the top.




Garnish with garnishes, season with chili paste, hoisin sauce, lime juice, fish sauce etc...





YUM!



Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
If you like what you just read please consider pinning it and sharing with friends on social media.
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.